Sunday, May 11, 2014

MUSINGS: Living below the line, aka what my 10 year old is teaching me

ok I know, we all want something more than we have

we all live beyond our means, and when we get a pay rise, we live beyond that too

or is it just me!?!!

It's taken me nearly 40 years to really understand how to be greatful.  I can't say I've had that much adversity in my life.  Life altering moments and big decisions, yes, but regardless of those moments I have still ended up with a supportive husband, two healthy kids and a beautiful roof over my head.

But last week i was taught something by my 10 year old son about what more we can do.



Through his school, he's decided to sign up for a program that helps people understand what it's like to live below the poverty line.

He came home on Tuesday and said, "Mum, dad, I've signed up to live below the line.  Can we go shopping for a weeks worth of groceries for me for $14?"

Now I'm a passionate supporter of following your dreams, so of course I was open to this - BUT - this is my little man - he's a growing lad and he's in the youngest year at his school (Year 5's to 12's.)  I wasn't sure if it was a great idea, and thought it more apt for the bigger boys in years 11 & 12.  But he's stubborn like me, and I knew that regardless of what we said, he would still want to go through with it.

So we looked through a few grocery catalogues to tried and figure out what he could live on.

"no, you can't have just have easy mac and doritos, that's $8 in total"

"why not try some noodles? they'll last longer and will probably get you through uni!"

"what about breakfast, everything here is savoury"

"what about milk? cheese is too expensive, sorry"

we ummed & ahhed for a while and eventually we made a list and headed off to the store.

Lucky for us we have generic brands that got us through - I'm not big on supporting the duopoly, but it seemed like the only option when you only have $2 a day as a budget.  And here's what the receipt looked like........

corn flakes - $2
2lt milk - $2
loaf of bread - $1.25
1kg rice - $1.20
medium tin of tuna - $1
chicken soup packet - $1
cheese sauce packet - 75c

total so far - $9.20

I also went to another grocery shop the next day and picked up some vegies - broccoli heads reduced for 50c, 1kg carrots, 1/4 pumpkin and 5 potatoes - grand total $4.30

total all up - $13.50 - with $1.50 left at the end of the week if need be

we also thought that because we have a few chooks that he could indulge in an egg every now and then, given that they were free (there's been 3 so far and we're currently at day 6)



SO WHERE TO FROM HERE!!

it's been a great lesson for us in how versatile we can be - and it's also taught us how strong willed our son is!  On the first night we had planned on having dinner at the local club to coincide with a meeting.  Our son decided if he ate before we went he would simply just do without dining with us that night - and with the tuna surprise I cooked up for him, he wasn't even hungry!!

meals he's had so far (we're on day 6)

corn flakes for breakfast
egg sandwich for lunch
tuna surprise
diced roasted vegies
soup 2 ways
leftover diced roasted vegies
cut up carrot for school snack
tuna surprise leftovers on toast

We weren't sure how the weekend would go - he plays football and he LOVES his sausage sizzle & canteen food - but again we were surprised when he finished his game and said, "dad, can you cook up a soup with the vegies i have?"

no complaints, no whinging - and very little angst about what others are getting while he misses out.

our ten year old is teaching us that we could possibly take a page from his book and shop smarter - as well as cook better too.

I remember my mum saying that you can cook a single chicken in seven different ways....might have to investigate that further!

Think I might have to ask my boy to help with some serving suggestions when it comes to menu planning this week!!

As I write this I have Master 10 beside me, and I suggested that once this week is over, he could have a big feed of whatever he wants!!  his choice - carbonara with sausage on top of a schnitzel!!!

I also said we can have some special ice cream if he'd like - he humbly said, "that's ok mum, I don't want this opportunity to go to waste and just go back to my old eating habits."

I feel so proud of him & a little embarrassed about our eating habits at the same time!



I believe that everyone is destined for greatness - and my son is definitely going to make the world a better place.....

I think he gets that from his mother!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment - your feedback (both positive & constructive,) are appreciated!!!